Wednesday, January 18, 2017

posty post

The weather here is .... ridiculous! I'm sure I've said this before but every new place we move, the first winter is terrible. It's a lot of responsibility but I think it's us. The first winter in Alaska was the warmest they'd seen. When we moved back to Colorado I told Scott I was looking forward to a Colorado winter - it snows like the dickens but the next day the roads are clear - nope - we had 3 blizzards in a row and the roads weren't clear for weeks!! Indiana - we bought that house with the long steep driveway and they said - it never snows here plus if it does it's only an inch or two and the driveway is black and faces the rising sun - so no problem. They had the most snow they'd EVER had that year. Washington -EVERYBODY said it doesn't snow here - well last week we got over a foot - historic snow they say. You can tell people are not used to snow because so many people were out walking in it. They also cancelled everything from school to trash before the first flake fell. Scott made it to work despite the snow - but had to wait until later in the day after they plowed the highway - it took him an hour to go a mile on his first attempt! It wasn't because of the snow, it was because the ice had rutted the highway and he couldn't keep in on the road. He waited until the store opened and bought two shovels. Even though the snow was wet and heavy it was easier shoveling here  - no long steep driveway!! Neighbors don't have snow shovels so you saw them out there with plastic toboggans scooping snow. Ryder helped one neighbor shovel and we loaned our shovels to another neighbor. The roads in our neighborhood still had 5 inches of ice and then it started raining. The people here don't drive very well in this because they are not used to it! It has to be us - or global warming - you decide.



Scott framed three pictures for me.
One Starry Christmas Eve by With Thy Needle and Thread

The Drawn Thread - Simply autumn
Ghoul Tidings Plum Street Sampler
I love them - he always picks perfect frames. He has some others he is working on - exciting!! My rotation is going well. The first week was Fantasy Sampler by Teresa Wentzler
before
after
 I finished the floral border - back stitch and all!!I am back stitching as I go, so it is completely done up to the center!
It's neat to see the how much difference back stitching makes!! Second week is Red Velvet Cake by Glendon Place. Finished page 1 and started on page 2.
before
after
Now I am on week three - smalls - started a new one but the called for color - that I ordered - is way to orange for Santa so I switched to Mulberry
Christmas at Winterberry Cabin by With thy Needle

Last night I realized when I kitted this I left out 4 colors - weird - so I had to go pull those colors. geez.
I even got some quilting done. I cut 752 six inch flannel squares and 512 four and a half inch batting squares for two rag quilts!! I already had 272 six inch jean squares I cut out back in December.
That is only half of them. That took two days - now to sew them together!! I finished 3 squares on the quilt I am hand quilting - only 60 to go - ahhh that sounds terrible!
I did two of these
 I used brown thread for all the tan spots and eggshell for the squares

You've seen this one but I did the tan corner squares in brown. Once you know what design you are quilting it goes quickly. I also did the brown corners on two more of these squares - just need the flower in there! Micheals  is selling Frixon erasable highlighters!! Not on their website though?? I already have this pack but I almost bought another just because they had them!! I ordered mine from Amazon and they came from China - I can't read what is written on the pens! If you go  - don't forget your coupon!!
Last weekend we went to Portland. Scott needed work boots so we went to Dr. Martens. I've wanted a pair for years so Scott bought me a pair too - so I wouldn't be jealous of his!! Mine are kind of purple - I put one next to his so you can see - they are very comfortable!!
 We walked by a Lush store, my friend Katie told me I had to try the sugar scrub, so we went in. I bought a scrub and I also bought  a lip balm (buttered brazil) I love them!! love love love them!! They had a few other flavors but the DRAWBACK is those two little tiny containers .9 and .4 were $20. whew. They sell fantastic looking bath bombs - should have bought one for the BIG tub in Vegas but I didn't think of it until it was too late.   
My friend Kristen in Virginia - one of the girls we went to letterbox in New York with - sent us a fun gift!! She sent a chicken from New Mexico (my kitchen is full of chickens) and Rest in Bees honey. It is honey from beehives in the Congressional Cemetery - how cool is that!! Here is an article about it.
Scott and I are always looking for neat places to visit - not just the run of the mill type places. Scott found a book called Atlas Obscura - turns out they have a website too. There is also one called Roadside America They have list and lists of amazing places in the world you wouldn't know to look for. There are some in every state - some are beautiful or odd , like this 31 foot statue of Paul Bunyan in Portland
I don't even know where this is it was so long ago - 2011!!
or the biggest ball of yarn - or a huge garlic statue. Fun stuff - so take a look at them and see what is in your neck of the woods - you might be surprised!!
Well, I am off to conquer the world - or at least quilt some squares. I know the weather all across of great nation has been crazy - stay safe and warm!! Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. That big fat garlic was in St. Louis. And so was the statue... HA! I am hilarious. Love you baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha you are hilarious! I'm glad one of us could remember! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is you and Scott for sure! I know this because Jim and I have the same effect on summers. When we move it will be certain that it will be the hottest summer in years. Here is my proof: 95 for weeks in Albany, NY, 102 in Seattle, and 96 most of the summer in Louisville. I'm not sure who is luckier. I think you because I HATE hot weather!!! Woiw1Scott is a great framer. The frames look just right with the designs. Your rotation is looking good and showing great results. Well, stay warm and off the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice is terrible! Next move, warn the city before you come. Didn't know you lived in Alaska! I guess Scott can get a job just about anywhere. Does he cut down and size frames or make them from scratch? VERY nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's you and Scott! Lol. Where I live, it's been cloudy and gloomy for two weeks or more. This is Arizona, it's supposed to be sunny! Strange weather going on. That's some super progress on the TW and I'm oohing and ahhing over Ghoul Tidings again! Everything looks great. I feel that every now and then it's nice to treat ourselves to girlie things that are expensive, you know? Have fun with those quilt squares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your framed pieces look great! Nice progress on your WIP's, too. I agree... backstitching makes a big difference. Snow... Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a supper dupper post!!!
    Don't mention the word Snow to me, it kind of get me in a panic as I am useless at driving on snow :) In UK, we have so little, therefore we there is a great fall, everything comes to a halt... I still reckon you could be to blame the two of you!!
    Absolutely love the framed finishes. What fantastic work of art. Great progress on the stitching too and better you than me on the quilting, it would drive me insane!!
    Not keen on the bath bombs from Lush, they are fun and some smell nice but have to spend ages cleaning the tub afterwards, no fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your stitching is beautiful! Our weather has been ridiculous too, lucky there hasn't been quite as much snow, but I'm still bracing for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad I have never lived anywhere with serious snow falls, i'm a bad enough driver on a normal day! I love the framing Scott did for you, each frame really highlights your stitching.

    ReplyDelete